Monday, August 3, 2009

Long Live The King

Photobucket


It took me a rather long time to write this little blog-a-ma-wog as Lydia Guevara would call it. More than a month later this is still and will probably forever be a sensitive subject for me and all the millions of people around the world that truly loved and appreciated Michael Jackson.

I remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news that Michael had suffered from a heart attack. In a matter of minutes the news had changed to: “Michael Jackson went into Cardiac Arrest”. As word spread quickly via text message and the internet I began to worry. Then I thought, “He’ll be fine” “Guys please pray for Michael!”. Moments later the L.A Times confirmed the death of The King Of Pop. I simply refused to believe it. I turned the television to CNN and watched in denial in hopes that I wasn’t true.

Later that night, the news became a sickening reality as I walked the streets of Brooklyn, watching with amazement and a heavy heart as all types of people played Michael’s music from their cars and businesses. I thought , “Damn, look at these guys giving it up for Mike”. I felt proud and sad at the very same time. Sad that he was gone right in the middle of preparing for a 50 show tour. Sad as I thought of all the hurt he’d been through here on earth. But I was also proud that on that very day and many days following, everyone had come together. Which is just what Michael would have wanted us to do.

When I was a child, Moonwalker was my favorite film. Speed Demon?! Come On! He was one of a kind. I’ve honestly always loved Michael. However, as much as I adored him—The werewolf in Thriller scared the crap out of me. In fact, yesterday my grandmother recalled me saying “That is NOT Michael Jackson” running away to the bedroom and returning when I’d hear “Cause this is Thriller!...”

The lyrics just hit me once again “This is Thriller” There will never be another Thriller! 25 + years later it remains untouchable. Michael meant what he said and I think he wanted us to know too. It’s almost like he was saying “This is it” (Which just so happened to be the name of his would have been last tour.)

I must quote Rolling Stone “As a singer, dancer, and songwriter, Jackson's talent is unassailable.”


The world will never know another Michael Jackson. Aside from being the greatest entertainer ever, Michael was a humanitarian. He truly cared about the world (“ . . . There are people dying if you care enough for the living . . .”) He really gave his all and as a result, his work is Timeless.


Now the King has gone away but his music and legacy is here to stay. It gives me peace to know that he will no longer a victim of pain, torture or the scrutiny that he knew oh too well. I hope he’s somewhere near to God smiling.

I’d rather not go on (even though one can go on about a unique talent forever) Instead I’d like to show my little tribute to the man that changed the world.

Photobucket


REST IN PEACE MIKE.
WE LOVE YOU

Photobucket

1 comment: